Header Graphic
Bellefonte - a classic Staunton property


The land was settled in 1790 by John Lewis, whose original log cabin is incorporated in the farmhouse across the road.

The spring, which inspired the property's name and continues to provide water to the house and to Lewis Creek, was part of the acreage bequeathed to Andrew Lewis, a General in the Revolutionary War.

By 1834, the Lewis family had sold the property, which was then inherited by David Patteson, a farmer, lawyer, and member of the Virginia House of Delegates, who built the center portion of the house.

Twenty years later, the home and farm was purchased by John Harman, who lived here with his wife and thirteen children. During the Civil War, he served as Quartermaster for Stonewall Jackson.

In the 20th century, the Commonwealth of Virginia owned and renovated the house, as the warden's residence; the back wing, plumbing and electricity were added at this time.

By the 1970's the home was again privately owned and expanded to include the two side wings, providing a great room and a guest suite on the first floor, as well as two additional porches along the back colonnade.

Subsequent owners opened a bed & breakfast after transforming the second floor into two master suites.

The current residents have lived here since the turn of the 21st century, adding a separate two-story studio and office building, for a commute across the back porch.



A number of items of historic significance have survived the centuries, along with the property.
An 1866 survey map of Maj. John Harman's estate, by Jedediah Hotchkiss' firm, shows the estate consisting of 560 acres at that time. See title detail from map, above.
Extensive sets of blueprints, including floorplans and elevations, for the 1946 and 1978 additions and improvements show the evolution of the main house.
A report by local historian and author William Miller, entitled "The Early History of Bellefonte," chronicles the history of the property within the context of the rich history of Virginia.
Bellefonte is featured in the 2008 illustrated book, Historic Houses of Staunton, Virginia.
The original pen & ink drawing of the home by local artist Joe Nutt, was purchased by the current owners.

For more information, click on the links below:


Photo Gallery





All information is believed to be current and accurate but is not guaranteed.

©2023 Dixon Studio